The Definitive Surgical Trauma Care (DSTC) Course is run in conjunction with the International Association for Trauma Surgery and Intensive Care (IATSIC). It is recommended by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons for all consultant surgeons and final year trainees who participate in the care of injured patients. It is considered essential for surgeons involved in the management of major trauma and those working in remote, regional and rural areas.
ANZAST has hosted a number of annual workshops:
- RACS ASC 2011 (Adelaide): Trauma Verification Workshop
- NTRI Scientific Meeting 2012 (Melbourne): The contemporary management of spine trauma for the non-spine surgeon
- RACS ASC 2013 (Auckland): The contemporary management of burns for the non-burns specialist
- SWAN 2017 (Sydney): ANZAST Rib Fixation Workshop
- RACS ASC 2018 (Sydney): Anatomically-Based Surgical Exposure for Trauma (ABSET) Course
- Trauma 2019 (Sydney): Anatomically-Based Surgical Exposure for Trauma (ABSET) Course
Workshops scheduled for 2020 have been cancelled in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Surgical Stabilisation of Rib Fractures (Melbourne – 11 May). POSTPONED until May 2021..
- Anatomically-Based Surgical Exposure for Trauma (ABSET) Course (Brisbane). POSTPONED until Thursday 9th September 2021